Fire detection and Prevention
In the event that you discover a fire within your demised property or the communal area our advice to you is to call 999 and ask for the Fire Brigade immediately. If you live in a block of apartments after calling the fire brigade please make your immediate neighbors aware of the dangers and ask them to leave the building until the all clear has been given by the fire officer.
Once all parties have been contacted remain outside of the building, and under no circumstances attempt to re-enter for the purpose of collecting personal items or rescuing pets as you may soon be overcome by smoke. Remain in the open space and away from the building. If possible direct the emergency services to the location of the fire upon their arrival.
If you detect smoke or if your smoke alarms are activated and you cannot locate the source of the smoke again call 999 and ask for the Fire Brigade immediately.
Do not make any rash decisions and await the arrival of the emergency services. Once they arrive on site, the Fire Officer will assume charge of the situation.
There are many different types of fires electrical, chemical, paper etc. Unless you are a trained and certified Fire Fighter, DO NOT attempt to tackle the fire yourself or let others tackle it for you.
At the end of the day your life is more important than rescuing personal belongings irrespective of their sentimental attachment to you.
There are many ways you can reduce the risk of fire. These include:
- Ensuring all hallways and stairways within the communal areas are kept clear of obstructions and or storage of personal items. Failure to do so will invalidate the Buildings insurance Policy. Although the list is not exhaustive, some items main items stored within the communal areas include prams and baby buggies, toys, disabled wheel chairs and bicycles.
- Do not leave material objects anywhere near electrical fire. Even a open window can blow a curtain or clothing into a path of a electrical fire.
- Do not leave the room un occupied if you are burning candles, tea lights or josh sticks
- When not in use please unplug all electrical items and do not leave in “standby mode”. This method is deemed as safe practice but in many cases will save money by reducing your electricity bill.
- Do not put water on boiling oil or fat. You will cause an immediate chemical reaction and cause an explosion.
- Do not attempt to fix broken electrical appliances unless you are fully trained and qualified electrician.
- Do not change any fuses by upgrading to higher rating on any appliance.
- Do not smoke in your bedroom. It is very easy to fall asleep while smoking thus allowing hot burning ash to fall onto yourself or the bedding.
- Do not attempt to cook food if you have consumed a large amount of alcohol as you may fall asleep whilst the food is still cooking on the appliance
- Keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Keep young children away from the kitchen while you are cooking
- Remember to switch off your iron after use
- Remember to switch off hair styling appliances immediately after use
- Ensure your smoke alarms are tested on a monthly basis
- Do not mix any cleaning chemicals together
- Make sure all light fittings are free from obstruction
Quick guides and handy links
Dares Farm Business Park
01252 811 391
07747 358 448